Warren Moor Mine is located in Leven Vale, about 1½ miles south-east of Kildale in the North York Moors.
It features England’s only fully intact Victorian ironstone mine chimney. A relic of a speculative enterprise that came to nothing.
By the middle of the 1800s, the search was on for ironstone deposits to feed the North East’s fast-growing iron industry. Entrepreneurs could make their fortunes if their gambles paid off.
Drift mines were cut into the hillside at Warren Moor in 1865. Although tests showed that the local iron content was low, work soon began on sinking two deep mine shafts and erecting a boiler house chimney. However, the company went bust in 1868. Although another company also tried its luck, the venture was finally abandoned in 1874 without the mine shafts ever being used.
The 72-foot-high chimney was originally connected to a boiler house and flues, to help draw fresh air through the mines using convection currents created by the heat. Even in a remote location such as this, and on an industrial building, Victorian craftsmen took evident pride in their labour. The handsome stonework has withstood the elements for well over 150 years.
Warren Moor’s remoteness has preserved the site in a moment in time. From it, we can see how other mine sites may have developed, before they were affected by later changes in technology.
Based on the 1894 Ordnance Survey map, this illustrates the mine 20 years after its closure. The rail line shown is a spur line which joined the North Yorkshire and Cleveland Railway (now the Esk Valley Railway).