West from Glenridding following the course of Glenridding Beck then a climb to the top of Whiteside Bank. South to Lower Man, Helvellyn, Nethermost Pike, High Crag and Dollywaggon Pike. Down to Grisedale Tarn then north-east through Grisedale to Patterdale. Returning north to Glenridding along a footpath by the side of the A592. A 12-mile walking route in the Lake District.
Recommended Ordnance Survey Map
The best map to use on this walk is the Ordnance Survey map of the Lake District North-Eastern Area, reference OS Explorer OL5, scale 1:25,000. It clearly displays footpaths, rights of way, open access land and vegetation on the ground, making it ideal for walking, running and hiking. The map can be purchased from Amazon in either a standard, paper version or a weatherproof, laminated version, as shown below.
The view south-west towards Catstye Cam.
Roten Beck Waterfall, Glenridding Common.
The path heading through the valley towards Red Tarn.
The view east from Glenridding Common.
Brown Cove, with Helvellyn in the background.
Heading towards Lower Man in windy conditions.
The view west towards Thirlmere.
Looking up to the summit of Lower Man.
The view east over Brown Cove towards Glenridding and Ullswater.
A brave climber slowly approaches the Helvellyn summit.
Looking down to Red Tarn from the summit of Helvellyn.
Looking down to Red Tarn from the summit of Helvellyn, with Ullswater in the background.
Lunch on the Helvellyn summit.
The fog clears to reveal a view west to Wythburn at the southern end of Thirlmere.
Walking around High Crag towards Dollywaggon Pike.
The climb up to Dollywaggon Pike.
The view from Dollywaggon Pike north-east over Grisedale towards Patterdale and Ullswater.
Time for a photo in front of Grisedale Tarn.
Waterfalls on Patterdale Common.
Grisedale, with Place Fell in the background.
Patterdale and Glenridding War Memorial Project
Towards the end of the First World War the inhabitants of Patterdale collected money to establish a permanent monument as a memorial to the officers and men who died in the war. William Hibbert Marshall, owner of Patterdale Hall, donated a piece of land to allow for the building of the monument in February 1921, on the shores of Ullswater between Glenridding and Patterdale. The memorial slab was hewn from a twenty-ton piece of local slate and the finished product still weighs around five tons. It was unveiled in October 1921.
The Inn On The Lake, a four star Ullswater hotel. We went to the pub next door!